Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Hull of A Week


Now that the hull panels are together I moved to the sides.  I'm not using a kit
and I tend to cut out pieces as I need them.  Here are a couple "floors" being epoxied.  Yes, that's my kitchen table.  It's been unusually cold here and somehow I talked my wife into letting me do these indoors one night since I was concerned about the curing time.  There is no smell so it was not obtrusive although we noticed that our goldfish and hamsters died mysteriously that night (just kidding).


 


Putting on the sides is definitely a job that would be easier with 2 people.  I was alone.  And trying to clamp the panel to the cradle while stitching was fruitless.  But it came together, with a little patience.







The bow took some wrestling put it slowly drew together and seems symmetrical.  Note the wires bent back on themselves.  My hands and arms look like I own a cat (I don't) from all the wire scratches and stabs.  I decided to bend back the ends after excessive blood loss.




This shows the inside edge of the starboard side towards the bow.  If you look closely you'll see the seam has not closed adequately yet.  I haven't yet figured out how to pull it together.  The wire doesn't seem strong enough at this point.  I've broken several overtightening.  I may need to recruit a strong neighbor.



This is floor 4 in place ready to be stitched



The view from the open stern.


Here she is peeking her nose out the garage
So now I need to cut, finish and install all "floors" and bulkheads.  Then I can work on the transom and begin filleting.  I'm amazed at each step how all of this is fitting together.  Things appear to be symmetrical and edgeds seem to be meeting the right edges.  It may sail yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment